How to Modify and Enforce Family Law Court Orders

If there’s one certainty in life, it’s that change is inevitable. Thankfully, divorce courts understand this as well, which is why you can modify court orders if you or your ex-spouse experience a significant change in your circumstances.

Perhaps a child custody order needs to be modified, as both parents are no longer able to follow the visitation schedule due to a change in their obligations. Another example is when an ex-spouse unexpectedly loses their job and can no longer afford their monthly child support payments. In these scenarios, it is perfectly reasonable for either ex-spouse to request a modification to their court order.

Enforcing Family Law Court Orders

Unfortunately, not every parent is willing to honor the obligations of these court orders. When this happens, you can take legal action to enforce the non-custodial parent to adhere to these agreements. There are a few circumstances in which you can request the court to enforce a family law court order:

  • If you are the child support recipient and the non-custodial parent refuses to pay
  • If visitation schedules are not being followed
  • If the paying spouse (obligor) fails to keep up on alimony payments or to maintain life and/or health insurance payments
  • If one of the ex-spouses refuses to comply with the financial obligations or to give up the property awarded to you in the divorce settlement

An experienced family law attorney can help you create a modification or enforcement request for these court orders. Fortunately, Kimbrough Legal provides these services, and we’re committed to ensuring that our clients receive what’s rightfully theirs. If you have any questions or concerns regarding a modification or enforcement of any of your family law court orders, give us a call today.